A lot of people say that they aren’t really big people persons because they perceive it to be a difficult role to fill. Most people think that they must have “it” in them to be a real hit with the people. Being a people person is in no way a matter of having some esoteric qualities or some innate reel-people-in personality, but it is merely a matter of having some simple, easy-to-implement characteristics that people universally look for in good people.
Being a people person has not even anything to do with popularity, but rather who you can influence with the simple characteristics in which I am going to outline in this article. You could start being a people person today with little effort and that is the sheer beauty of being a hit with people. Now let’s burn up all of your preconceived notions about being a people person as we move along to my five basic top-notch tips to becoming the people person you were meant to be.
Here Are Five Simple Tips to Be a Good People Person:
- Show Humility – When someone makes a mistake (even a dire one) in your life, instead of reacting harshly by berating them and looking to get revenge, give the person another chance to succeed. If you hired a person to fix and clean out your computer and the techie did not do the job well, don’t tell that person how much you hated their service, but rather tell the person that you were not satisfied with their work and that you trust them enough to live up to the higher standards of their work and you would like him or her to work on your computer again. Tell the techie that you trust him or her to do a better job the next time around. Speaking words of growth into a person will do your reputation a whole lot better than berating the person and it will cause the computer tech to want to do much better in his or her career. Also, do not forget the lasting influence that you’ll have on the person who worked on your computer for showing them a bit of humility, instead of giving them an emotionally-fueled complaint that would be bad for both you and the computer tech. Speak words of growth into people because that’s all it takes most of the time for people to become better.
- Smile – Compiled with many other social graces and useful skills you may have, a smile is a very crucial social asset to have. A simple smile lets people know that you experience the joy of humanity and most people nowadays are looking to experience the joy of humanity, so your smile represents much more than a mere, simple smile to others. It represents a surrender to the better in life and a longing for joy and people who are looking for happiness are drawn in to one’s smile. Smiles causes one to feel warm and welcomed; sometimes one’s smile feels better than the warmth of the sun. :)
- Be One to Count On – Great success with others lies in being one to count on. No one likes people who they can’t count on for anything. Have a positive, selfless quality that is unique to you that people can count on from time to time. For example, I have a friend in real life who’s very outgoing and uplifting to others’ spirits, just being in a room with this guy for awhile can make you feel better and get your mind off of what’s keeping you down. He’s known for smiling, greeting you, joking, and just having fun in general and making others feel better about themselves through his comical personality. His comical personality is an asset that causes him to greatly win with people and you can always count on him to have something funny to do or say and it’s uplifting for everyone. Be one to count on!
- Focus on Positive Things – I know how easy it is to let negative things slow you down and deter you from focusing on the positive things in particular predicaments and in life in general. Negativity is so powerful that one will often focus on the mishaps of something bad rather than the good things of something good. That’s how life works, but we can train our minds to maintain focus on the hope of a dream rather than the sorrow of a mishap or a mistake. You must always keep your eyes on the prize or big picture to make your efforts feel meaningful. You could focus on what’s wrong all of the time or you could focus on the good things that currently are and the goodness that could possibly exist if you just continue to walk your path of adversity with the only thing (the dream) that really matters clenched in your fist. You have to guard your dreams at all costs because it will pay off in the end.
- Start Off Good – Always start your conversation off on a good note even when you have not-so-good news to deliver. If you absolutely must deliver bad news, it’s absolutely essential to meaningfully state positive things first, then make an easy transition into delivering the bad news or criticism. This is very similar to tip number 1 of this list in that you’d be showing humility. It never does anyone any good to start off bad with anything. Always remember to always start off good with everything. Even if it seems cliche or unreal sometimes, you just have to remember to focus on the positive things.