Please watch this video before you read this article because this article will make much more sense to you after you have watched this video.
In this article, I am going to outline Arnold Schwarzenegger’s six secrets to success and I’ll give you guys my own input on what each of Arnold’s tips means to me personally. Before listening to his speech, I never knew Arnold had so much to say about success. I definitely know that Arnold Schwarenegger is a highly successful and hardworking man, but I did not know he could speak so strongly about the topic of success to the point where his words just completely rocked my world! Anyhow, here goes nothing as I highlight Arnold’s six secrets (or tips) for being successful and I offer my own input on what each tip means.
- Trust Yourself –Arnold’s very first tip tells you to trust yourself. You must be confident in your actions and never cower down in the face of adversity if you ever want to get anywhere in life. Represent yourself in the highest level of honor by simply trusting yourself. I see people go around with so much self-doubt on their shoulders each and every day and I too am sometimes included in that group of people, but I always remind myself that the worst thing that could happen (utter failure) is not so bad when there’s still opportunity to breath and grow. Back during the wrestling season, a coach of mine by the name of Coach McGovern told me to be confident in my actions on the mat and that maxim can be applied to many aspects of life.
- Break the Rules — Arnold is not advising you to go out and do a mugging; however, he is advising you to be a maverick! Don’t remain inside the bubble playing it safe just like everybody else. If you consider yourself to be a successful person, then you will have to go against the grain a bit. Take the road less traveled and make it your road; let the world know that you’re not afraid to innovate and be different to succeed. Come up with ways that you can do something differently from everyone else to yield better results because that is truly breaking the rules!
- Don’t Be Afraid to Fail — I won’t lie and tell you that I’m always prepared to fail before I undertake an endeavor because I am not always prepared to fail. This is one of Arnold’s concepts that I still have to practice and grow used to over time. Arnold is not telling you to play it safe or be mediocre, but instead he is telling you to work your butt off and don’t act like a little whiner if you happen to lose because losing is a part of life. Arnold understands that losing comes with the job of being a successful person. You can either let failure signify a new beginning for you or you can let it be the death of your spirit. The choice is solely yours.
- Don’t Listen to the Naysayers – There will always be people telling you that you cannot do something, but you must not let them phase you. Naysayers are an indicator that you are a part of something bigger than yourself and they are an indicator that you are taking steps in the right direction to achieve success. Successful people accept the challenge! Have you ever seen a low-life, a bomb living on the streets, or a person who has nothing going for himself in general attract naysayers? Usually not, because those kind of people do not usually chase success.
- Work Your Butt Off — Arnold says that working your butt off is the most important of all his other “secrets” to success because nothing great can be attained if you are not willing to work your butt off. I know a lot of people who want more money, who want to lose weight, who want to be well-known, who want new clothes and other material items, but the problem is that they are not willing to work their butts off for those things. There can be no success in an apostasy of hard, hard work.
- Give Back – Arnold really stresses the importance of giving back in his speech and I believe wholeheartedly in giving back. You have to understand that life is holistic. Life is about you and it’s also not about you; accept that contradiction and you are a better person. When you have attained great success and great resources, it is your duty as a successful person to help others who also work their butts off in an attempt to attain success just as you have. More over, happiness is found in serving others.